Tenancy Advice

Blue Mountains Tenants' Advice and Advocacy Service (BMTAAS)

Blue Mountains Tenants' Advice and Advocacy Service (BMTAAS) is a free, confidential service that assists tenants living in the Blue Mountains council area.

Our tenant advocates provide free tenancy services in the following areas:

  • Information and advice about your rights as a tenant.
  • Advocacy on your behalf in negotiations with your landlord or real estate agent.
  • Representation in the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT).
  • Provides community education to tenants, community organisations and service providers on tenancy issues.

Please notewe require the full name of your landlord before we can provide tenancy advice.

How do I get tenancy advice?

BMTAAS operates an advice line on set days and times.

Call – (02) 4704 0201

Mondays and Tuesdays from 9.30am - 12.30pm

Staff are available from Monday to Thursdays and messages left outside the above times will be attended to by the next available advocate.

Our tenant advocates also attend the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT) at Katoomba courthouse every sitting day to provide duty advocacy to tenants involved in a residential tenancy matter before the Tribunal.

We help tenants living in:

  • Private rentals
  • Social housing (Housing NSW or community housing)
  • Aboriginal housing
  • Residential caravan parks
  • Strata title units

Your rights as a tenant:

As a tenant, you have legal rights. All residential tenancies in NSW are covered by the Residential Tenancies Act 2010. As a tenant, you have the right to:

  • Premises that are clean and fit to live in
  • Privacy and full use of the property
  • Reasonable security and locks
  • Repairs carried out by the landlord in a reasonable time
  • Reimbursement for any urgent repairs paid by you (up to $1000)
  • Receive valid rent increase and termination notices in writing

Your responsibilities as a tenant include:

  • Paying rent on time
  • Reporting repairs, preferably in writing
  • Leaving premises in the same condition as when you first moved in

We can help with:

  • Starting a tenancy
  • Rent disputes
  • Bond disputes
  • Repairs and maintenance
  • Locks and security
  • Termination notices
  • Consumer, Trader and Tenancy Tribunal hearings
  • Housing NSW appeals
  • Landlord’s responsibilities
  • Disputes with landlords and real estate agents

Tenancy Information and Referrals

Tenant’s Union NSW
The Tenant’s Union has information about tenancy law in NSW as well as factsheets and sample letters.

NSW Civil & Administrative Tribunal (NCAT)

The NCAT is the Tribunal that hears tenancy disputes. Information about the NCAT process, hearing lists and details of the Tribunal.

Share Housing Survival Guide (NSW)

Aboriginal Tenancy and Advocacy Services (ATAAS)

Aboriginal Housing Office

We acknowledge the traditional custodians of the lands on which we work, the Darug, Gundungurra and Wiradjuri nations. We pay respect to past, present and future Elders, extending this respect to all Aboriginal people. We respect their continuing culture and the contribution they make to the life of our regions. CTBMCLC is is committed to honouring Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples’ unique cultural and spiritual relationships to the land, waters and seas and their rich contribution to society.